Thursday, June 19, 2008

Home Alone

Ben’s first week kept him pretty busy: fishing, conching, boating, football, exploring etc… I overheard the boys talking, and Ben said: "Chickens are pretty fast". Apparently Ben tried to chase one of the wild chickens down, but with no success. Man, I wish I would have had my camera for that one!

Here are the boys at Fort Christiansted.

At the same time Ben was keeping Phillip occupied, Susan, Andrew and I worked on some of the cosmetics on the boat: varnishing, painting, polishing, fixing and cleaning. The Adamo looks better than ever.

Doug spent the week working on home school every day. All that is left to do are two papers. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

My meeting regarding a job here went well. And I will continue to stay in touch as positions begin to open up.

Yesterday, Susan flew back to the States to deal with our house and re-renting it out. The boys and I are “batching” it until she returns. Unfortunately, we don’t know when that will be, but she did promise she would return. Our plan was for the boys and I to do a longer sail down to Guadeloupe, however, the weather is not co-operating. We think we may head to St. John for a few days, while the wind settles down. Then we’ll turn back south (all subject to change of course). The funny thing is, as you meet more and more people on the island, it gets harder to leave. We keep getting invited to a cookout, or a beach party or whatever and we seem to always have plans for “next weekend”. I guess this is how cruisers get stuck in one place and never leave.

For us though, we do want to see more of the Caribbean. And if we wait for too long, then heading to the Grenadines and Trinidad will become too difficult due to the weather. Stay tuned and let’s see what happens. Here’s to cruising and not having a fixed plan.