Friday, June 20, 2008

A View From The "Real World" by Sue

Well, I am in Florida after a horrendous flight originating in St. Croix. In fact the day began with irritation. Mike lost his mind and began sanding/scraping the deck right over my cabin at 6am. For all of those who truly know me, this was a huge offense! It was not an"A.M.A." (Approved Morning Activity). I made a list concerning our morning etiquette early on in our travels so that we can all live harmoniously together in our small space. These A.M.A.'s consist of things like reading a book, writing in a journal, doing a blog entry, or studying the charts. They do not, however, include things like talking loudly, playing opera at full volume, fixing things on deck while others are trying to sleep...you get my drift. So after this rude awakening I had to varnish the toerail, clean up the cabin, shower, and pack for my trip back.

When I checked my bags in St. Croix I had the fantastic privilege of being chosen to have my bag inspected. I placed my duffel bag on the examining table and was sternly informed that I was not to reach over, touch, or place anything else on the table as she inspected my bag. I stood there a little dumbfounded as she proceeded to completely unpack my bag. She took each piece of clothing out, squeezed it, unfolded it, wanded it, and set it aside. After she fondled each article of clothing and displayed my large bras in front of every passerby she began to open all the makeup, deodorant, lotion...etc.
Now the bag is empty and she is still staring at it like something more must be in it, so she felt the entire flexible, non-rolling, nylon bag, wanded it, twice and finally started to repack my clothes. Being a "type A" person who likes to pack in an orderly fashion, I was fidgeting and pleading with her with my eyes to let me put my things back so that everything would not be wrinkled up in a ball, but I had been sternly warned..no touching! Again, those who know me well ,know that I do not like to iron so it was painful to watch as she stuffed it all haphazardly back into the bag. After that I saw three middle-easterner's mosey on by, bags untouched...I guess I fit the profile, go figure? The flight to San Juan was on a small plane. There were about 10 of us on it so it was basically empty. I arrived in San Juan walked to my next flight which was scheduled to leave in thirty minutes only to find the gate packed with lines of people. Not a good sign! At the desk there was a monitor that was flashing "Departure Now - 10:30pm".
Two earlier American Airline flights were canceled and every seat on this flight was booked with a list of twenty standby passengers waiting and hoping to get on the delayed flight. At this point I went to the bar. It was now 7:45pm. I had gotten up earlier than planned, had a full day and was gearing up for what appeared to be a long night ahead. And a long night it was. At 11pm I heard cheering and commotion at the gate I went to see what was happening. An auction had begun. Desperate people were demanding to get on the flight and the Airline was offering vouchers. The price steadily increased to a $400.00 voucher, tickets to a show, and hotel accommodations. Only one taker! We finally boarded the plane and took off at 11: 40pm scheduled to arrive in Orlando at 3:00am. The plane was hot, and packed with Puerto Ricans speaking loudly in Spanish, I was in a row with four people and fortunately had an isle seat. Across from me were four children under 7 years old, and the lady next to me had a 2 year-old lap child, meaning I was not going to get any rest! I finally gave up and let her lay him flat across our laps so he at least could sleep. By the grace of God they played a movie, The Bucket List. It was one I had already seen, but I am used to watching movies over and over so I put on the headphones, blocked everything out, and watched. We landed at 3:00am. We all stumbled through the empty airport to baggage claim. I got lucky, my bag was one of the first out of the plane. Damon, bless his heart, was waiting for me at the airport to take me to his home. I felt so badly that it was the middle of the night and had tried to convince him that I could get a hotel at the airport when I got in so that he could sleep since he has work in the morning, but he said, "No Way."

Sleeping in a real bed was great! As was the shower that I took in the morning! Wow, nothing like deprivation to make you appreciate the simple things in life! Damon left me his car to drive, a range rover, very nice! He should have had doubts about lending me his car because I have not driven a car in 9 months and I don't know the area; however, he just handed me the key, drew me a map and wished me a great day. After meeting Melanie for lunch, I spent 3 hours in a Super Target! Again, Wow, I think it is my favorite store, everything you could ever need or want under one roof! How convenient!

Melanie made me a hair appointment for Friday morning. Melanie took the day of to play with me. I could hardly contain my excitement! Her hair stylist was terrific! I finally got rid of the "Puerto Rican blond" (orange) from my attempt at getting my hair highlighted there. We had wine at lunch and went for a pedicure. I feel pampered and put together again!

Mike called and said that he has a potential renter for the house so my job of emptying the house of personal things into storage is at the top of my list. I have had many offers from friends to help me so at least I can visit while packing. Plus my mom is coming down to help, too, and I am looking forward to her visit.

I am anxious to see what our home looks like after the first renters. Keep your fingers crossed!